I never announce my location ahead of time when traveling. Why? Because, over the years, I have received direct threats from people we’ve exposed on WritersWeekly as scammers. There was that woman who wanted to fly to our town and “beat me up.” (She was eventually sentenced to prison for running a scam literary agency.) And, there was the guy who threatened to kidnap our children, and hire someone to “take care of” me. Then, there was that gentleman (an author) in Maine who waited for the mailman in our part of town, and asked him for our address. And, the mailman GAVE IT TO HIM! He was harmless but he did show up at our back door (yes, the BACK DOOR!), and asked to be let in because he needed to talk to us (I did NOT let him in!). He then stopped by unannounced several times and I finally had to be rude, and tell him not to come to our house anymore.
Last week, I told you we were going camping. And, we did. But, we were also learning a LOT!
We attended Prepper Camp in Saluda, North Carolina. We’ve been preppers for more than 20 years and, while family and friends have made fun of us over the years, nobody’s been making fun of us THIS year! The tickets were a gift I received last year for Christmas. I was nervous that this year’s camp would be cancelled because of Covid but it wasn’t, thank goodness.
Here’s what we learned:
- Congregational Security (protecting your church from violent attacks)
- Dehydrating for Food Preservation
- Fermenting to Preserve Foods
- Homestead Herbals
- Medical Martial Law (pretty scary)
- Livestock for Survival
- Wild Food Gardening
And, our FAVORITE classes:
- Wild Edible Plants / Survival Resources (watching that guy walk around, plucking leaves everywhere, plopping them in his mouth, and explaining their benefits was really cool)
- Secret Garden of Survival – How to Grow a Camouflaged Food-Forest (fascinating!)
- Making Soap 101 (a lot faster and easier than I ever imagined)
- Rabbits – A Colony Approach to Breeding (rabbits provide the best return in investment/labor with regards to protein)
- Psychological Warfare (taught by a former military psy-ops guy)
- Tomahawk Throwing (I almost got a bullseye!)
There are several other classes as well that we didn’t have time to squeeze in. If you ever have the opportunity to attend Prepper Camp, I definitely recommend it!
It rained for the first two days but we had prepared for wet and cold weather. We saw lots of beautiful fall foliage AND we saw a HUGE bear!!! It was an awesome weekend!! 🙂
Here are a few pics:
- Abbreviated Issue Because We’re Camping in the Boonies!
- No More Single Points of Failure!
- Camping For Boys = Quiet Writing Time For Me!
- HUMPH!!! No Camping Trip for US This Weekend!!
- From Vacation To PAYcation: Writing and Selling Your Travel STORIES By Eric D. Goodman
- Organizing Your Overseas Writing Vacation By Roy Stevenson
HOW TO REMEMBER, WRITE AND PUBLISH YOUR LIFE STORY
Angela Hoy's popular online class is now available in book format!
Remember Your Past
Write It and Publish It
in as little as 12 weeks!
Angela Hoy's book will get you started!
- Using Angela's MEMORY TRIGGERS, recall memories that have been dormant for years
- Record those memories in chronological order in your memory notebook
- Using the memory notebook as your outline, write your autobiography!
- Also works for biographies and memoirs!
Read more here:
QUERY LETTERS THAT WORKED! Real Queries That Landed $2K+ Writing Assignments
Peek over the shoulders of highly successful freelance writers to see how they earn thousands per article! The query letter is the key!
In these pages, you'll find real query letters that landed real assignments for national magazines, websites, and corporations.
- Abbi Perrets' form letter that brings in $30,000-$45,000 annually
- Sample phone query from Christine Greeley
- The Six Golden Rules of Queries and Submissions...and How I Broke Them! by Bob Freiday
- Your Rights As a "Freelancer"
- and ANGELA HOY'S SECRET for finding ongoing freelance work from companies that have a stable of freelancers, yet never run ads for them!