I received the following email:
I thought you might want to see this, as the number of emails I am receiving from scammers of late is through the roof for some reason!
This one says that a traditional publisher would not be interested in my book because I am affiliated with a non-traditional publisher, and I need to part ways with you and sign up with them. Then, I would have to buy 1000 copies OF MY OWN BOOK (which would total around $20,000 or so) to help convince a traditional publisher to take on my book.
They are getting more creative, but anyone with common sense can smell a scam a mile away!
The email from Haynes Media Group, at first glance, looked professional. Their website looks professional as well but the writing on the site is horrible.
Look at this:
We have combined years of first-rate industry experience in enlivening the efforts of the burgeoning authors with comprehensive publishing, editorial, and marketing solutions, helping them to publish their books with authoritativeness.
Um, what??? That looks like it was written by artificial intelligence (AI) or someone in another country with a bad grasp of the English language.
Since I’ve been in the industry for 25 year, I was able to spot the problems with the email (and the website) right away.
1. They claimed their “book scouts” were interested in the author’s book. But, this is how the book title appeared in the email. (I have removed the actual name of the author’s book to protect his anonymity.) Do you see the problem?
…stumbled onto your book,” Book Title “ in the…
Notice the punctuation and spacing errors around the title. Also, notice the book title is in bold. None of the rest of the text in the email was in bold. What I think they are doing is sending out mass emails to authors, and using software to insert different book titles into the email. It’s easy to do that.
2. The email goes on and on about how great the book is, but mentions nothing specific about that particular book.
3. They claim, “…we initially pitched your book to our affiliated traditional publishers, who were interested but were hampered by the fact that you are tied with a self-publishing company.” I’m calling B.S. on that!
They then claim they can republish the book for the author, and put the author down as the publisher. Hello!?!? That still means self-published!
4. They claim the can improve the “quality” of the book. They all say that.
5. They claim they won’t charge the author to do any of this work…BUT WAIT!! If an unwary author stopped reading there, he wouldn’t know that the end of the email states the author must purchase 1,000 copies of the book. How much you wanna bet that they’ll make a huge profit on those 1,000 copies, which would more than pay for their interior and cover designer, etc.?
This is the best part:
“The books are tagged with the outright purchase and that will record as highlighted 1000 pre-ordered sold books in the first week of printing. By managing the publishers’ perception, we add value to the pitch and convince them that your book is newsworthy! That’s how we get your contract.”
Do you know what that means? Are they saying that the author must purchase 1,000 copies and then Haynes Media will try to hoodwink traditional publishers into thinking those were retail or public sales of the book?
After reading their ridiculous email, I got online, and was not at ALL surprised to find these:
According to the complaints posted there, one author paid $1250, and did not (as of the date of the posting) receive her 250 copies.
“As of date, the books have not arrived, and every attempt to contact Haynes Media has been ignored, and/or disregarded. I have sent emails, made telephone calls, and left messages to no avail…”
And, another complaint:
“It appears they are no longer accepting my calls or returning my emails for over a month.”
That author paid them $3,000.
– WRITER BEWARE has Haynes Media Group listed on their “Publishing/Marketing/Fake Literary Agency Scam List.”
– Porscha Aubrey also has them listed under Scamming Publishing Companies.
If your book has been previously published, and you are then spammed (or receive a telemarketing call) by a company offering to do the work all over again, you are ABOUT TO BE SCAMMED. These firms are the bottom feeders of the industry. Unfortunately, many authors fall for the “we can get you a traditional contract” line. Those authors end up with far less money in their wallets, and no traditional contract.
Oh, I almost forgot! Haynes Media Group also wants to help you turn your book into a blockbuster movie! Eye roll…..
- MORE COMPLAINTS about Draft2Digital / draft2digital.com – 10 2023
- Authors Are Moving to BookLocker After Amazon KDP Randomly Terminated Their Accounts
- MORE AMAZON KDP COMPLAINTS! – Why Complain When You Can DO Something About It?
- Amazon KDP Terminates ANOTHER Author’s Account, AND Keeps Her Royalties!
- And, Even MORE Complaints about Amazon KDP!
- MORE AMAZON KDP COMPLAINTS! Poor print quality, incorrect sales reporting, dismissive customer service reps, and more!
- COMPLAINTS about Your Online Publicist / YourOnlinePublicist.com / (YOP) – 08 2023
- COMPLAINTS about Authors Press AND Westwood Books Publishing – 05 2023
- COMPLAINTS about Draft2Digital / draft2digital.com
- My local bookstore won’t order my book because Amazon published it!
- Amazon KDP Cancelled My Account, Too! – by Wallace Holmes (a pseudonym)
- Author Hasn’t Been Able to Get in Contact with Stratton Press for 4 MONTHS!
- OUCH! The BBB Has REVOKED Stratton Press Publishing’s Accreditation AND Given Them an F Rating. Find out why!
- OUCH!! COMPLAINTS about Friesen Press / FriesenPress.com
- Self-Publishing Price Comparison!!
HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT SELF-PUBLISHING A BOOK?
a self-publishing services company that has been in business since 1998. Ask her anything.
Got questions about Print On Demand and Self-publishing? Ask Angela Hoy.
About The Author
Angela Hoy is the publisher of WritersWeekly.com, the author of 19 books, and the co-owner of BookLocker.com (one of the original POD publishers that still gets books to market in less than a month), PubPreppers.com (print and ebook design for authors who truly want to self-publish), and Abuzz Press (the publishing co-op that charges no setup fees).
Angela has lived and traveled across the U.S. with her kids in an RV, settled in a river-side home in Bradenton, FL, and lived on a 52 ft Irwin sailboat. Angela now resides on a mountaintop in Northwest Georgia, where she plans to spend the rest of her days bird watching, gardening, hiking, and taking in all of the amazing sunrises.
WritersWeekly.com - the free marketing ezine for writers, which features new paying markets and freelance job listings every Wednesday.
BookLocker.com - According to attorney Mark Levine, author of The Fine Print, BookLocker is: "As close to perfection as you're going to find in the world of ebook and POD publishing. The ebook royalties are the highest I've ever seen, and the print royalties are better than average. BookLocker understands what new authors experience, and have put together a package that is the best in the business. You can't go wrong here. Plus, they're selective and won't publish any manuscript just because it's accompanied by a check. Also, the web site is well trafficked. If you can find a POD or epublisher with as much integrity and dedication to selling authors' books, but with lower POD publishing fees, please let me know."
Abuzz Press offers FAST and FREE book publication, but only accepts a small percentage of submissions, and only works with U.S. authors.
PubPreppers.com - "We Prep, You Publish!" Print and ebook design for authors who truly want to self-publish. Offers formatting and design services only, and then provides simple instructions for authors on where to sign up to have the print and ebook editions printed/listed/sold. Cut out the middle man. Keep 100% of what bookstores pay for your book!
Angela's POD Secrets Revealed Series can be found HERE.
Have a POD Book with another publisher? See if BookLocker can give you a better deal. (BookLocker offers "disgruntled author discounts" to those who want to move from other POD services.)
See BookLocker's publishing packages HERE.
ANGELA ON TWITTER https://twitter.com/AngelaHoy
BOOKLOCKER ON FACEBOOK - Provides links to free excerpts!
ANGELA ON FACEBOOK
ANGELA ON LINKEDIN
Angela is the creator of the Original 24-Hour Short Story Contest!
Read More Of Angela's Articles HERE