What are the benefits of going with a hybrid publisher vs POD?
hy·?brid | \ ?h?-br?d
“A hybrid is a mixture of two different things…” (Vocabulary.com)
Such a cool sounding word, right? But…
Be very wary of the term “hybrid publisher.” Many companies use that term to trick authors into thinking that the company itself is footing part of the bill for book publishing. However, when you look at the numbers, the author is the one paying all of the fees.
For example, a so-called “hybrid publisher” may quote the author $5K in fees, but say that the publisher is also investing $5K in the book publishing project. In reality, they are NOT. It does NOT cost $5K to publish a book. Not even close.
A true hybrid publisher is a firm that pays all of the up-front publishing fees, but does not lock an author into an exclusive contract for decades. However, a hybrid publisher will typically not set up book signings without charging the author to do so, they will not send out press releases without charging the author for it, etc., etc.
A hybrid publisher will take a chance on an author, and invest funds in the project, but they’re not going to risk going broke in the process if the book does not take off. That’s why the contracts for hybrid publishers are usually for much shorter periods of time than those offered by traditional publishers.
POD (print on demand) is simply a method of printing a book only when it is ordered. Many hybrid publishers, as well as traditional ones, use POD technology now.
Abuzz Press, which we own, is a true hybrid publisher. Authors pay nothing up front and the contract is exclusive for only three years. However, authors are responsible for book promotion. And, Abuzz Press accepts only a handful of submissions each year.
- Abuzz Press – This Hybrid Publisher Charges No Setup Fees!
- WHAT ARE THEY REALLY HIDING? One HUGE Red Flag to Watch Out For When Choosing a Publisher!
- When a Vanity Publisher…Pretends To Be Traditional\
- “Why do some Print on Demand publishers charge an annual fee while others do not?”
- VAMPIRE PUBLISHERS: How to Tell If You’ve Been Bitten by One By Julie Matherly
The Fearless Freelancer: How to Thrive in a Recession
Want to Recession-Proof Your Freelance Business?
Freelancing in a recession doesn’t have to be scary. The Fearless Freelancer gives you a proven, step-by-step process for getting steady, high-paying clients—from a freelancer who’s thrived during two recessions.
Whether this is your first recession or you’ve been through this before, discover how to:
- Boost your confidence so you can stay calm and focus
- Stand out in a sea of freelancers so clients choose you
- Make freelance marketing as easy as tying your shoes
- Find high-paying clients that still need freelancers now
- Create marketing that will attract those clients
- Succeed in a recession even if you’re a new freelancer
Free Bonus Content
Also get dozens of checklists, templates, and other tools to help you recession-proof your freelance business, including:
- Simple Strategic Plan for Surviving the Recession
- The Ultimate LinkedIn Profile Checklist for Freelancers
- Awesome Freelance Website Template