An author recently provided us with a beautiful picture that he wanted to put on his book’s cover. As I always do, I asked him for a copy of the receipt, showing that he purchased the rights to use the image. As authors ourselves, we are very respectful of the intellectual property rights of others. That includes authors, writers, artists, graphic designers, and others.
The author did indeed have a receipt for the purchase. However, he could not use the image on the cover of his book. Why?
The receipt from Alamy stated:
“Use in a magazine or book (print or digital), inside use, 2,500 circulation, worldwide for 5 years (excludes advertising)”
I had to let the author know what that means:
1. You can only use it inside the book (not on the cover).
2. You have to pay them again if you sell more than 2500 copies. The may price increase by then. If the image is no longer available (yes, that happens!), you’d need to have your cover redesigned using a different image.
3. You have to pay again after you’ve used it for 5 years…again, if it’s still available.
4. You can’t use it for advertising. That means you can’t use the image to promote your book, including on the cover because you’ll be using the cover, of course, to promote your book.
Never assume, by paying a website for an image, that you have unlimited rights to use the image in any way you choose. Always read the fine print. Better yet, hire your own illustrator using a work-for-hire agreement that gives you all rights to the final product.
- Author Wants to Keep a “Low Profile” Because HE STOLE IMAGES!
- When “Industry Experts” Give Out ILLEGAL Advice! Stealing/Altering Others’ Images and Text on Pinterest (and Elsewhere) is NOT Okay!! By Cheryl Pickett and Angela Hoy
- “I created characters for my book from images I found online. Was that copyright infringement?”
- Q – “I took images from the Internet and now I can’t remember the sources. Can you help me find them?”
- Are These Images in the Public Domain? Probably Not…
Got questions about Print On Demand and Self-publishing? Ask Angela Hoy.
About The Author
Angela Hoy is the publisher of WritersWeekly.com, the author of 19 books, and the co-owner of BookLocker.com (one of the original POD publishers that still gets books to market in less than a month), PubPreppers.com (print and ebook design for authors who truly want to self-publish), and Abuzz Press (the publishing co-op that charges no setup fees).
Angela has lived and traveled across the U.S. with her kids in an RV, settled in a river-side home in Bradenton, FL, and lived on a 52 ft Irwin sailboat. Angela now resides on a mountaintop in Northwest Georgia, where she plans to spend the rest of her days bird watching, gardening, hiking, and taking in all of the amazing sunrises.
WritersWeekly.com - the free marketing ezine for writers, which features new paying markets and freelance job listings every Wednesday.
BookLocker.com - According to attorney Mark Levine, author of The Fine Print, BookLocker is: "As close to perfection as you're going to find in the world of ebook and POD publishing. The ebook royalties are the highest I've ever seen, and the print royalties are better than average. BookLocker understands what new authors experience, and have put together a package that is the best in the business. You can't go wrong here. Plus, they're selective and won't publish any manuscript just because it's accompanied by a check. Also, the web site is well trafficked. If you can find a POD or epublisher with as much integrity and dedication to selling authors' books, but with lower POD publishing fees, please let me know."
Abuzz Press offers FAST and FREE book publication, but only accepts a small percentage of submissions, and only works with U.S. authors.
PubPreppers.com - "We Prep, You Publish!" Print and ebook design for authors who truly want to self-publish. Offers formatting and design services only, and then provides simple instructions for authors on where to sign up to have the print and ebook editions printed/listed/sold. Cut out the middle man. Keep 100% of what bookstores pay for your book!
Angela's POD Secrets Revealed Series can be found HERE.
Have a POD Book with another publisher? See if BookLocker can give you a better deal. (BookLocker offers "disgruntled author discounts" to those who want to move from other POD services.)
See BookLocker's publishing packages HERE.
ANGELA ON TWITTER https://twitter.com/AngelaHoy
BOOKLOCKER ON FACEBOOK - Provides links to free excerpts!
ANGELA ON FACEBOOK
ANGELA ON LINKEDIN
Angela is the creator of the Original 24-Hour Short Story Contest!
Read More Of Angela's Articles HERE