Ah, social media influencers. People who, for the most part, are famous for doing absolutely nothing important at all (snark intended!). All they need are good looks, a good cell phone camera, an unlimited amount of time online, and a sky-high ego. Okay, okay… Some of them are good people on a good mission but those aren’t typically the ones with multi-millions of followers.
Whether you like social media influencers or not (I do not), the allure of their numbers of followers has not been ignored by marketing firms. There are even firms that charge companies money to connect them with influencers.
FINDING THE RIGHT INFLUENCERS
There are influencers with millions of followers and there are micro influencers who have far fewer. There are even influencers who post book reviews. You can see a small sample of micro influencers (and how much they charge) HERE.
But, what is most important is that the influencer’s audience will be interested in YOUR book. As with any marketing activity, you first need to determine your audience. You then need to find influencers who cater to those folks. And, as you probably guessed, there IS a directory of the most popular social media influencers.
REMEMBER THAT THE RELATIONSHIP NEEDS TO BE MUTUALLY BENEFICIAL
1. Most very popular influencers will charge you a pretty penny to promote your product. You can read about influencer pricing models HERE. Keep your smelling salts handy when you do.
THIS ARTICLE is imperative reading if you are considering influencer advertising.
2. Others might promote your book because they truly believe it will help their readers. This is rare, however. If they can get money for something, they will, regardless of their personal opinions about a book and its ability to help their readers.
3. If your book is controversial, extremely funny, or on a topic that will get an influencer’s audience talking, they may not charge you to promote your book. The more people who talk about an influencer’s posts and/or videos, the larger their audience will grow. And, the larger the audience, the more money the influencer will make in the long-run.
4. If you follow a specific influencer, and actively engage with their posts, share them, etc., they might start to recognize you, making them more likely to promote your book in the future. You’ve been scratching their back so they might be willing to scratch yours.
Some influencers have gotten into trouble for promoting products without letting their followers know that what they’re posting is an advertisement. The Federal Trade Commissions has cracked down on some of them. You don’t want your book embroiled in a mess like that.
SUCCESSFUL INFLUENCER CAMPAIGNS (that you probably can’t afford to create)
Having an influencer simply post a text ad to their audience is, of course, far easier, and more affordable for unknown authors.
HOW TO BECOME AN INFLUENCER YOURSELF
If you want to become one of those annoying influencers, and possibly make money from it, read THIS ARTICLE.
- Staging Your Zoom Background to Sell More Books!
- ADVERTISING VS. EDITORIAL: Are you giving away your valuable ad space for free? – by Candice Sabatini
- How to Build Your Social Media Following FAST! By Dawn Gluskin
- Bad Hair, Ripped T-Shirts and Jammies, Oh My! Author Photo Blunders…By Angela Hoy
- SAY CHEESE! Your Photo is as Important as Your Writing! By Brian Whiddon
- Using Zoom to Promote Your Book(s) and Writing Service! – by Harvey Randall, Esq.
- Publishing Your Book is NOT Enough! By Jim Gilliam
Got questions about Print On Demand and Self-publishing? Ask Angela Hoy.
About The Author
Angela Hoy is the publisher of WritersWeekly.com, the author of 19 books, and the co-owner of BookLocker.com (one of the original POD publishers that still gets books to market in less than a month), PubPreppers.com (print and ebook design for authors who truly want to self-publish), and Abuzz Press (the publishing co-op that charges no setup fees).
Angela has lived and traveled across the U.S. with her kids in an RV, settled in a river-side home in Bradenton, FL, and lived on a 52 ft Irwin sailboat. Angela now resides on a mountaintop in Northwest Georgia, where she plans to spend the rest of her days bird watching, gardening, hiking, and taking in all of the amazing sunrises.
WritersWeekly.com - the free marketing ezine for writers, which features new paying markets and freelance job listings every Wednesday.
BookLocker.com - According to attorney Mark Levine, author of The Fine Print, BookLocker is: "As close to perfection as you're going to find in the world of ebook and POD publishing. The ebook royalties are the highest I've ever seen, and the print royalties are better than average. BookLocker understands what new authors experience, and have put together a package that is the best in the business. You can't go wrong here. Plus, they're selective and won't publish any manuscript just because it's accompanied by a check. Also, the web site is well trafficked. If you can find a POD or epublisher with as much integrity and dedication to selling authors' books, but with lower POD publishing fees, please let me know."
Abuzz Press offers FAST and FREE book publication, but only accepts a small percentage of submissions, and only works with U.S. authors.
PubPreppers.com - "We Prep, You Publish!" Print and ebook design for authors who truly want to self-publish. Offers formatting and design services only, and then provides simple instructions for authors on where to sign up to have the print and ebook editions printed/listed/sold. Cut out the middle man. Keep 100% of what bookstores pay for your book!
Angela's POD Secrets Revealed Series can be found HERE.
Have a POD Book with another publisher? See if BookLocker can give you a better deal. (BookLocker offers "disgruntled author discounts" to those who want to move from other POD services.)
See BookLocker's publishing packages HERE.
ANGELA ON TWITTER https://twitter.com/AngelaHoy
BOOKLOCKER ON FACEBOOK - Provides links to free excerpts!
ANGELA ON FACEBOOK
ANGELA ON LINKEDIN
Angela is the creator of the Original 24-Hour Short Story Contest!
Read More Of Angela's Articles HERE
90+ DAYS OF PROMOTING YOUR BOOK ONLINE: Your Book's Daily Marketing Plan by Angela Hoy and Richard Hoy
Promoting your book online should be considered at least a part-time job. Highly successful authors spend more time promoting a book than they do writing it - a lot more.
We know what you're thinking. You're an author, not a marketer. Not to worry! We have more than a decade of successful online book selling experience under our belts
and we're going to teach you how to promote your book effectively online...and almost all of our techniques are FREE!
Online book promotion is not only simple but, if you have a step-by-step, day-to-day marketing plan (this book!), it can also be a very artistic endeavor,
which makes it fun for creative folks like you!
Yes, online book promoting can be EASY and FUN! Let us show you how, from Day 1 through Day 90...and beyond!
I admire any writer who wants to tackle a blind character. But so many writers take up this challenge and FAIL. They research blindness by reading other fiction books, by observing their blind colleagues and acquaintances, and by tying on a blindfold and pretending to be blind themselves.
I understand the challenges your characters face, their triumphs, their hopes and their fears, because I've lived them. I work with people who have varying degrees of blindness every day, so I've seen every challenge, every situation you could imagine.
Let me share my knowledge to improve your writing. You can create blind characters that readers will fall in love with.