I took a picture of a painting by a local artist and used that for my cover image. He died a few years ago and he didn’t have any family nearby so I don’t need to get permission to use it, right?
I’m not an attorney and this is not legal advice. Always consult an attorney for any legal needs you have.
No, you can NOT use something created by another person simply because they died! Almost everyone has heirs and, even if they didn’t name a specific person, the courts distribute any assets to family, or friends, or even creditors. And, that includes the rights to his original works.
- When An Author Dies, The Vultures Will Rise!
- “An author died and the publisher wants to put MY name on the new edition?!”
- Can I Quote Someone Who Died 50 Years Ago?
- My Relative Died. Can I Have Their Book Republished Elsewhere?
- My Sister Died Young. Do I Need To Get Permission From Her Husband To Publish Her Writings?
The Working Parent's Guide To Homeschooling
Dissatisfaction with public and private schools continues to grow, and with more and more acceptance of homeschoolers at colleges and universities, now is the time to encourage all those who are ready and willing, that they are able and qualified to teach their children, even and especially if they must continue working. The Working Parent’s Guide to Homeschooling answers questions such as, “How can I work and homeschool?” by showing the reader how to find what works for them.
The Art and Craft of Writing and Editing
Writing is a constant dialogue between author and reader.
Read more here:
HOW TO REMEMBER, WRITE AND PUBLISH YOUR LIFE STORY
Angela Hoy's popular online class is now available in book format!
Remember Your Past
and Publish It
in as little as 12 weeks!
Angela Hoy's book will get you started!
- Using Angela's MEMORY TRIGGERS, recall memories that have been dormant for years
- Record those memories in chronological order in your memory notebook
- Using the memory notebook as your outline, write your autobiography!
- Also works for biographies and memoirs!
Read more here: