I am in possession of a journal that was published in the 1940’s. Is something like this publishable?
I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice. Please consult with an attorney concerning this situation. That said…
Your first concern should be related to copyright. If you received that journal from someone, or even if you purchased it, you may not own the rights to it. This article has excellent information on this topic:
Who can claim a copyright to old diaries, journals and letters?
Another consideration is libel and invasion of privacy. Even if the journal was written decades ago, if anyone who reads the published edition recognizes themselves, or someone else, and if the person mentioned in the journal believes their rights were violated in any way, the author who published the journal would be legally liable for putting those words in front of the world.
Of course, you could anonymize everything in the book but there’s still a chance somebody, somewhere will recognize something, and know who wrote the book or who that person was writing about.
- Author turns diary from an unknown writer into a novel
- From Award Winning Child Writer, to Journalist, to Natural Anxiety and Stress Expert! – by Lea Grimaldi
- When Relatives Say, “Don’t Write About Me!” By Karen Carver
- My Relative Died. Can I Have His Book Republished Elsewhere?
- Do I Need A Model Release From Relatives?
- AWKWARD HOLIDAY GATHERINGS! When Relatives Say They Bought Your Book (But They Didn’t)
- Don’t Invite Lawsuits by Real People Featured in Your Book! (Hint: You Can Still Be Sued Even If You Don’t Name Them!)
Read More "Ask The Expert" Articles
HOW TO REMEMBER, WRITE AND PUBLISH YOUR LIFE STORY
Angela Hoy's popular online class is now available in book format!
Remember Your Past
Write It and Publish It
in as little as 12 weeks!
Angela Hoy's book will get you started!
- Using Angela's MEMORY TRIGGERS, recall memories that have been dormant for years
- Record those memories in chronological order in your memory notebook
- Using the memory notebook as your outline, write your autobiography!
- Also works for biographies and memoirs!
Read more here: