So-called “Christian” Publishers Can Be Wolves in Sheep’s Clothing

So-called “Christian” Publishers Can Be Wolves in Sheep’s Clothing

Lots of companies use the word “Christian” in their name and/or their advertising materials. And, some people automatically assume those companies must be on the up-and-up because they’re “good Christian people.”

I’ve received comments like this from authors:

“I want to use a Christian publisher because I know they’ll take good care of me.”

“They’re Christians so they MUST be honest!”

“I got ripped off by my last publisher so I’m going with a Christian company next time around.”

Just this week, I received complaints about two publishers who use the word “Christian” in their name. Perhaps I’m wrong but, as a Christian myself, I really don’t think God wants companies using his son’s name to make a buck. And, I have no doubt that some publishers, with FAR from Christian values, are trying to capitalize on the saintly assumption many people make about those firms.

The most notorious (in my opinion) BAD “Christian” publisher was Tate Publishing, which ripped off countless authors. Its owners were later convicted for several felonies. But, things didn’t get better in the industry after that. There are still “Christian” companies that are scamming folks.

And, it’s not just the publishing industry that has those types of monsters. Almost ever large commercial industry has wolves in sheep’s clothing, masquerading as Christians, in order to hoodwink people into handing over their money for the slaughter.

I, myself, think there’s a special place in hell for people who do that.

The point of my short missive today is this: Never assume that a company using the word Christian in their name or marketing materials is good. In fact, I often given those companies extra scrutiny. I recommend you do the same.

RELATED

Cons and Scams. Oh Me, Oh My! By Karen Carver

“My publisher is scamming authors. I have my production files. Can BookLocker print them for me?”

If someone “hires” you, and then sends you money for a computer, IT’S A SCAM!

Book Marketing Scams!

Author Avoids Literary Scam, and Later Publishes 4 Books! – by Cheryl Shoquist

Got questions about Print On Demand and Self-publishing? Ask Angela Hoy.

About The Author

AngelaPortrait72dpismall_400x400

Angela Hoy is the publisher of WritersWeekly.com, the author of 19 books, and the co-owner of BookLocker.com (one of the original POD publishers that still gets books to market in less than a month), PubPreppers.com (print and ebook design for authors who truly want to self-publish), and Abuzz Press (the publishing co-op that charges no setup fees).

Angela lives on a 52' Irwin Center Cockpit Ketch (sailboat) with her family and pets. Keep up with her family's adventurous liveaboard lifestyle at GotNoTanLines.com

WritersWeekly.com - the free marketing ezine for writers, which features new paying markets and freelance job listings every Wednesday.

BookLocker.com - According to attorney Mark Levine, author of The Fine Print, BookLocker is: "As close to perfection as you're going to find in the world of ebook and POD publishing. The ebook royalties are the highest I've ever seen, and the print royalties are better than average. BookLocker understands what new authors experience, and have put together a package that is the best in the business. You can't go wrong here. Plus, they're selective and won't publish any manuscript just because it's accompanied by a check. Also, the web site is well trafficked. If you can find a POD or epublisher with as much integrity and dedication to selling authors' books, but with lower POD publishing fees, please let me know."

Abuzz Press offers FAST and FREE book publication, but only accepts a small percentage of submissions, and only works with U.S. authors.

PubPreppers.com - "We Prep, You Publish!" Print and ebook design for authors who truly want to self-publish. Offers formatting and design services only, and then provides simple instructions for authors on where to sign up to have the print and ebook editions printed/listed/sold. Cut out the middle man. Keep 100% of what bookstores pay for your book!

Angela's POD Secrets Revealed Series can be found HERE.

Have a POD Book with another publisher? See if BookLocker can give you a better deal. (BookLocker offers "disgruntled author discounts" to those who want to move from other POD services.)

See BookLocker's publishing packages HERE.

ANGELA ON TWITTER https://twitter.com/AngelaHoy

BOOKLOCKER ON FACEBOOK - Provides links to free excerpts!

ANGELA ON FACEBOOK

ANGELA ON LINKEDIN

Angela is the creator of the Original 24-Hour Short Story Contest!

Read More Of Angela's Articles HERE

Make Sure Your Marketing is Targeted at the Right Audience

90+ DAYS OF PROMOTING YOUR BOOK ONLINE: Your Book's Daily Marketing Plan by Angela Hoy and Richard Hoy

Promoting your book online should be considered at least a part-time job. Highly successful authors spend more time promoting a book than they do writing it - a lot more.

We know what you're thinking. You're an author, not a marketer. Not to worry! We have more than a decade of successful online book selling experience under our belts and we're going to teach you how to promote your book effectively online...and almost all of our techniques are FREE!

Online book promotion is not only simple but, if you have a step-by-step, day-to-day marketing plan (this book!), it can also be a very artistic endeavor, which makes it fun for creative folks like you!

Yes, online book promoting can be EASY and FUN! Let us show you how, from Day 1 through Day 90...and beyond!

The Do-It-Yourselfer's Guide to Self-Syndication

Practical resource outlining the self-syndication process, step-by-step. Packed with detailed information and useful tips for writers looking to gain readership, name recognition, publication and self-syndication for their column or articles.

10 Responses to "So-called “Christian” Publishers Can Be Wolves in Sheep’s Clothing"

1. Chris Queen  May 22, 2020 at 11:30 am

Thank you. CQ

2. Robert DeFilippis  May 22, 2020 at 10:02 am

I am one of Tate’s victims. They were pretty smooth in seducing inexperienced writers. I should have known better because every other “Christian” business I’ve had dealings with eventually screwed me.

The truly unfortunate part is the name “Christian” has been so tarnished by this and other scams (read televangelists) young people are walking away from it. Without the guidance a faith community can provide, young people can be left to look to popular culture for their moral grounding. And that’s pretty scary.

I am a Christian who holds his faith loosely, but I have the deepest appreciation for my Catholic grade school education. It’s not that I’ve never “sinned.” It’s that I can’t fool myself when I do.

3. jedidiah manowitz  May 22, 2020 at 9:44 am

Lots of sock puppet types will claim to be what they are not and that applies to so called ‘publishing’ help/houses.

I trust gramma but when I play cards with her I still cut the deck.

Caveat Emptor!

4. Marianne  May 22, 2020 at 8:43 am

Angela, Thanks for the warning. Would you please put a list of questions to ask a publisher, “Christian” or non-Christian? Would you also give authors a range of fair prices for certain publishing services? For example, cover designs can range from $400 to $2000. Having concrete information would equip authors to better evaluate publishing companies.

• By Angela Hoy - Publisher of WritersWeekly.com  May 22, 2020 at 9:49 am

Hi Marianne,

That’s a great idea! I’ll work up an article on that.

By the way, $400 to $2000 is WAAAAAAY too much for cover design!! At BookLocker, it’s included in all of our packages except the D.I.Y. one. If an author needs cover design as an add-on, it’s only $250. Samples are here:

🙂

Angela

5. Richard Atwood  May 22, 2020 at 5:50 am

About thirty years ago, living in L.A., I had much the same problem, trying to get screenplays to so-called Christian producers, or those in the business. There was even a large group who met through Hollywood Presbyterian Church… but you were not supposed to discuss business, nor ever approach anyone there with your project or ideas!! It was supposed to be all about serving the Lord. Not to get a foot in the door.
    Ahem…
    Then, I also had the wonderment of having my screenplay read, and poo-pooed as “impossible,”
    (end-times scenario, dealing with the newly established EU and the rise of the anti-Christ, based on Biblical prophecy), by the very same director, who later turned around and then did the Christian comic book, “The Omega Code.” (Far more implausible than mine!) And was also through the auspices of TBN, whom I had also approached, and they weren’t interested.

Not to mention meeting Dean Jones face to face in a prayer circle at church and telling him about my script, and he said bring it to his office… and never heard three peeps afterwards. So, I therefore concluded, dealing with Christians in the film industry was much the same as dealing with all the other lions elsewhere.

6. Léa  May 22, 2020 at 5:23 am

Such practice is not limited to the Publishing community. From experience, mine and others, I see their name and/or logo and run the other way. As a Mental Health Professional, I know their tricks and their games all too well.

• By Angela Hoy - Publisher of WritersWeekly.com  May 22, 2020 at 9:51 am

EXCELLENT ADVICE, Lea!!!!!

7. Johnny Townsend  May 21, 2020 at 2:28 pm

Thanks for this, Angela. Affinity fraud is successful because people feel they’re part of a family, and that family (of Mormons or Baptists or Seventh-day Adventists or whoever) would never hurt someone in their own family. Of course, people hurt their spouses and their children and their grandparents all the time. Domestic violence, child abuse, elder abuse, etc. The same is true in any religion. Most members of the denomination may be great, but we shouldn’t assume anything. We need to take precautions and understand that we’re dealing with human beings.