I’m not planning to make a profit on my book so I’m calling it non-profit. That means I can use the “fair use” doctrine, and include other authors’ works in my book, right?
No, no, no! To be completely honest, questions like this always make me cringe. By contacting me today, you may have avoided a lawsuit, or two, or a few.
Unless you have created and registered an actual 501(c)(3) non-profit with the government, your publishing enterprise is NOT considered a “non profit.”
Please read this excellent article about fair use copyright law.
And, read this article on how to start a non-profit.
I think you will find that simply asking permission to include others’ works in your book is far easier, and cheaper, in the long run.
- All’s Fair in Love and…Hey! Wait a Minute! That’s Mine! A Brief Discussion on FAIR USE By Neil Wilkinson
- How to Avoid Giving Yourself (and Your Publisher) LEGAL Nightmares! by Harvey Randall
- Can I Use Materials in My Book, without Permission, for “Educational Purposes?”
- Can A College Make Copies Of My Book Without Permission?
- Writing or Editing for Non-Profits: When to Say NO! By Jordan Swift
90+ DAYS OF PROMOTING YOUR BOOK ONLINE: Your Book's Daily Marketing Plan by Angela Hoy and Richard Hoy
Promoting your book online should be considered at least a part-time job. Highly successful authors spend more time promoting a book than they do writing it - a lot more.
We know what you're thinking. You're an author, not a marketer. Not to worry! We have more than a decade of successful online book selling experience under our belts and we're going to teach you how to promote your book effectively online...and almost all of our techniques are FREE!
Online book promotion is not only simple but, if you have a step-by-step, day-to-day marketing plan (this book!), it can also be a very artistic endeavor, which makes it fun for creative folks like you!
Yes, online book promoting can be EASY and FUN! Let us show you how, from Day 1 through Day 90...and beyond!
The Fearless Freelancer: How to Thrive in a Recession
Want to Recession-Proof Your Freelance Business?
Freelancing in a recession doesn’t have to be scary. The Fearless Freelancer gives you a proven, step-by-step process for getting steady, high-paying clients—from a freelancer who’s thrived during two recessions.
Whether this is your first recession or you’ve been through this before, discover how to:
- Boost your confidence so you can stay calm and focus
- Stand out in a sea of freelancers so clients choose you
- Make freelance marketing as easy as tying your shoes
- Find high-paying clients that still need freelancers now
- Create marketing that will attract those clients
- Succeed in a recession even if you’re a new freelancer
Free Bonus Content
Also get dozens of checklists, templates, and other tools to help you recession-proof your freelance business, including:
- Simple Strategic Plan for Surviving the Recession
- The Ultimate LinkedIn Profile Checklist for Freelancers
- Awesome Freelance Website Template