A monthly magazine’s Articles Editor expressed a liking for my submission, and–saying there was no immediate need for it–saved it in her “Someday” file. Since then, nearly four months have elapsed.
1. Would it be wise to write her to ask if she intends to buy my article in the foreseeable future?
2. Would it be wise to write her to ask if she minds if I submit it elsewhere?
3. Should I feel free to submit it elsewhere without notifying her?
Thank you very much.
Four months?! If I were you, I’d submit it elsewhere. If someone else buys it, email her and withdraw it. No writer should be forced to wait for eternity while an editor buries their work…and forgets about it.